Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Childbirth class # 2

Last night was our 2nd childbirth class. I have to laugh because I was feeling pretty good about things after the 1st class. WELL, last night they really informed us. By way of THE video. You know the one. THAT video. Now, I would say that I am the type of person that likes to be informed. But after watching a live birth (unmedicated by the way...) I'm thinking ignorance might be bliss. :)

Our instructor also brought in all of the possible tools they can use when necessary. This included a few things that weren't so bad but the forceps? I thought they looked more like a heavy industrial pair of salad tongs! I guess the suction and forceps are two that I hadn't thought about and probably won't for a long time. It's not common of course to have to use them, but yikes. When all is said and done, I'm glad I saw them now and not at the last minute in the hospital delivery room.

We practiced our breathing techniques again and talked about how to cope with pain. It's hard for me to know how I'll do as I don't really know what my tolerance for pain is. I know that I'll be fine and I'm at a great hospital with doctors I really trust. All I know is that epidural sounds better and better the more I learn about it. I am also so thankful to have a wonderful husband who has been so thoughtful and considerate during my pregnancy. They talk a lot about how important your "support" person is during labor, and I know I'm blessed to have Wes. Even if his face looked a little white during the video. :) He has been reading books and preparing and even went to the Daddy Boot Camp class. I am a very lucky girl to have his support!

1 comment:

Meg Palmer said...

Erin you look great! I love reading your blog! He's is going to be one lucky little boy. I will keep you guys in my prayers!