Thursday, December 11, 2008

31 weeks and pregnant brain

This week marked 31 weeks. According to the baby books, baby boy now measures over 15 inches long and weighs about 3.5 pounds. He is heading into a growth spurt. He can turn his head from side to side, and his arms, legs, and body are beginning to plump out. His lungs and digestive tract are almost mature and he can see inside the womb. Wow!


I'm starting to feel pretty tired at the end of the day. We've had a couple of really busy weeks in a row so I'm trying to rest when I can. Everyone tells me to do that now! My last day at school will be January 23rd. That gives me a few weeks before my due date to "nest" and relax!
And... does anyone remember this guy from the Muppets?

Well, his name is Forgetful Jones and that is who I feel like lately! I was the person who used to laugh at my pregnant friends and all the things they would tell me about being forgetful and having what is commonly referred to as "pregnant brain." Well, the past few weeks have proved that it is a true phenomon! For example, I've done several out-of-character things like forgetting my cell phone at home a few days in a row (agh the horror!) and on more than one occasion I have completely spaced out while in the middle of a lesson at school. There is no proven research on why this occurs, but a lot of what I read says that in the third trimester you just have a lot on your mind (no kidding?!) and it may be a sign to simplify your life. They also say when pregnant that your brain runs a bit "slower." I don't know, whatever the reason - I know that if I'm not writing it down on a post-it note, it doesn't exist! :)

No comments: